The outstanding 2012 applicants taught us about the meaning of SPIRIT. Everyone exhibited good character, a thirst for learning, and well-rounded academic and extracurricular talents. We thank them for their gifts:
The SPIRIT Scholar Finalists
- Breanne - For artistic passion & connecting with people. Breanne describes the magic chemical reaction between people who inspire and help each other.
- Eli - For the World's Most Important Story. Eli imagines the Chesapeake Bay a generation from now, and the picture is not pretty. What can we do about it?
- Hilary - For leadership and advocacy in education, health and sports. Hilary waxes poetically about the beauty of running, fresh air, and the sounds of nature. She also is creator and host of the website: Teen Impact Nutrition, to educate the community, and more specifically teenagers, about the basics of nutrition and how to make healthy food and lifestyle choices.
- Emily - For inspiring people to do their best. Emily describes running as if you were actually the one running; and it feels good!
- Evan - For high participation & willingness to help. Evan is the master of all trades. Evan is the man to watch in the future. If Indiana Jones were real, he would want to be like Evan!
- James - For hard work & dedication to improve life. James is a Track Captain, Eagle Scout, started the Cancer Club, and more. He's got your back.
- Isabella - 2012 SPIRIT Scholar. Isabella showed us her Geography Outreach and Book Drive to help others on the other side of Rockville. For her scholarship essay, Isabella answered the question, "Inspired by a quote from local singer-songwriter Evan Polisar, "Every day's a memory... do what you know you should," tell us a story about when you did something good that will never be forgotten." Isabella exuded excitement about the potential, when in combination with giving her time and effort to help others, to create possibilities for others to live better lives.
Congratulations to Isabella Mia Lee, 2012 SPIRIT Scholar!
Winners were announced at the annual Wootton High School
awards assemblies Friday morning, May 18, 2012. Following the assemblies, the 2012 SPIRIT Scholarship Awards Celebration was held in the WHS Career Center.
The SPIRIT Scholarship Awards Celebration
- Socializing and lunch
- Welcome and introductions by the SPIRIT Foundation
- Message by Jeff Hilnbrand, 2011 SPIRIT Scholar - Jeff studies at UMD in engineering. He will spend summer of 2012 in Ethiopia working on an infrastructure project with Engineers without Borders.
- Entertainment by Henry Nam - Henry produced sounds from every part of the acoustic guitar! The audience was captivated while Henry expressively performed a newly written piece for slap guitar, and then"Elegy" written by Henry in Robert's memory.
- Special Keynote speaker, Scott Franko, author and owner of US Signcrafters, Inc., Elkhart, Indiana. For 20 years Scott Franko has led US Signcrafters as its President, now owner, managing its growth from a sign making company into a multi-division creative solutions provider - providing printing; concept creation, design and project development; online shopping; and ornamental architectural fabrication.Scott graduated from Indiana’s Ball State University in Graphic Design. Scott is active in his community. He serves leadership roles in church, a youth mentor program, the Michiana Christian Business Men’s Connection, Mishawaka Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, and Osceola Business Association. With lessons learned, he writes books. His weekly “Pay Notes” blog, which began as motivational notes that accompanied employee paychecks, inspires thousands. His latest book is Lessons from a Pair of Old Gloves. Scott is connected to Robert Yin, owing to Robert donating a vital organ to a close family member of Scott's. Scott is happily married to Jenny, with three wonderful children in high school and college.
- Presentation of awards and gifts
If you missed this year, please join us for the next...